Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grammy 2.0

 As I sat down in front of my TV Sunday night, I could barely contain my excitement that the Grammy's were on! I watched as Lady Gaga was carried inside of an egg (she truly never ceases to amaze me!) and each artist that performed was better than the last. When Lenny Kravitz came out to introduce Muse, I could no longer keep my excitement to myself. I HAD to share my thoughts on Facebook. So, I posted exactly what was on my mind, "I freakin love Muse! And even though Lenny Kravitz hasn't changed his look (or outfit) since 1991, he's still dead sexy!" Pulitzer Prize winning material? Not at all. But, thought provoking? Apparently. Within 10 minutes I had three 'likes' and a, "Omg I could Not agree More." Thus began my night of status updates and comments with friends about anything and everything Grammy.



 At the same time I was updating my status and commenting on my friends posts during the show, I was also going to grammy.com for updates and behind the scenes videos that I couldn't get from watching the show or from Facebook.

 For years the music industry has fought with different types of social media (Napster anyone?) in order to hang on to their rights and control over music. But, after years spent fighting, the industry is now finally embracing social media and figuring out how to use it to their advantage and include their fans as well. This year's Grammy's was proof that the recording industry is taking social media seriously. In an interview on mashable.com, Evan Greene, Chief Marketing Officer of the Recording Academy said that, "...the Academy established a social media task force in 2008 and did a lot of outreach in 2009, basically assessing the climate, the places where the fans were spending their time, and evaluating the decision to jump in full force. Evan made it very clear that the Academy didn’t want to just haphazardly get involved, if the organization was going to do social media, it was going to do it correctly, (mashable)."

 As part of this year's marketing campaign, the Grammys got their fans involved through WereAllFans.com. The site basically lets fans interact with their favorite artists by creating a video compiled of youtube videos, pictures, tweets, blogs and other fan generated social media 'blips.'  Some of this year's most popular artists on we're all fans were Lady Gaga, Beyonce and The Dave Mathews Band.

 In the days leading up to the show, the Grammy's showed their openness to embrace all things social media by hosting the Social Media Rock Star Summit. Amongst stars Adam Lambert and Chamillionaire, the founders of Digg.com, Mashable.com and Foursquare.com were also a part of the panel. The summit was streamed live on grammy.com and YouTube, and for anyone who missed it, there are videos broken down by topic on grammy.com. The video clips are broken down into topics such as, "Foursquare Discussion at Social Media Rockstar Summit," and "Social Media v. Creativity at Social Media Rockstar Summit."

 During the show, fans like myself could go to grammy.com and check out behind the scenes pictures and videos. And the next day, there were links to download performances, answer polls, videos from every category, 'thank you' blogs, pictures, and this list goes on. Basically, if I missed one second of the Grammy's I could just go to grammy.com and find it.


 This year, the Grammy Awards were an interactive experience for fans like myself. It allowed us to experience the show by watching it play out on TV, but also made us feel like we were part of it all through the Grammy website and We're All Fans site. I am looking forward to what the future holds for Grammy groupies like myself. Who knows, maybe some day they'll be a virtual Barbara Streisand standing in my living room. In the meantime, I'll be on grammy.com watching the video of her performance whenever I choose. After all, it was like buttah!












sources: http://mashable.com/2010/01/25/grammys-2010/, http://www.youtube.com/, http://www.grammy.com/,

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, in this social time, people all expect immediate responses and quick infomation. Everything is supposed to get virul in seconds so that everyone in the world can see it. I think the same kind of phenomenon would be true for the fashion week in NY that's going on right now. Just by digging through the internet, u can find just exactly everything about fashion next season =)

    ReplyDelete